News and Announcements
Our students are making headlines, and we want to share all the great news with you. We will keep this page updated with important announcements, news stories, and student shout outs. Please check in often and help us celebrate our students’ many achievements.
We encourage you to stay up to date with everything happening at Mohawk Trail Regional School! Please check out our weekly school newsletters. They are posted underneath the MTRS Student and Family Update heading.
Our district updates have a new name! We hope you'll find our regular MTRSD S'Updates to help keep you informed throughout the school year. Check back often for the latest going on in our schools.
- April 28, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- April 15, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- April 8, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- April 1, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- March 11, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- March 4, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- February 18, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- February 11, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- February 4, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- January 21, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- January 14, 2022 - MTRSD S'Update
- December 22, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- December 17, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- December 3, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- November 19, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- November 5, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- October 29, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- October 22, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- October 15, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- October 8, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- October 1, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- September 24, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- September 10, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- September 1, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- August 20, 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
- Summer 2021 - MTRSD S'Update
Mohawk Trail Regional School presents Guys and Dolls Jr. on Friday, May 5 and on Saturday, May 6 in the auditorium. Tickets are available at the door or by email. We hope to see you there!
The Key Club is collecting used clean clothing. Please consider donating any clothing and footwear in good condition. The community may drop off their donations at the front office. We thank you for your support!
Class of '23 and families, two surveys were sent home recently. These will help us plan some of the events listed below. Please complete them by March 27.
- Student Survey
- Care Provider Survey (Only 12 responses so far!)
Reach out to the Class of '23 advisors, Ms. Basal or Ms. Camada, if you have any questions.
- Prom - Friday, May 19
- Senior Sendoff - Wednesday, May 24
- Senior Soak - Thursday, May 25
- Finals and rehearsals for Awards/ Graduation - Tuesday, May 30
- Elementary school visit and MTRS staff cookout - Wednesday, May 31
- Awards Event - Thursday, June 1 (5:00–7:00 p.m.)
- Graduation Celebration - Friday, June 2, 6:30–8:00 p.m. (Rain date: June 3: 1:00–3:00 p.m.)
For scholarship information and deadlines, students should continue to reference the Student Services updates.
Mr. M chaperoned four of our high school STUCO members who participated in the (Massachusetts Association of Student Councils) MASC Spring Conference. This event is held annually to provide students with both motivational and educational experiences. The three-day, two-night conference is at the Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis and Cape Codder Hotel. These three days are full of events, motivational speeches, workshops, awards, and entertainment—and are a rewarding experience for any student leader. Attendees trained in areas of leadership, allowed to network with students from across Massachusetts, and celebrated as student leaders for their achievements throughout the year.
A particularly memorable leadership experience was participating in the Polar Plunge at Craigsville beach on the cape. This valiant act raised $530 for Special Olympics.
Find more information about this event on the Massachusetts Association of Student Councils website.
Mohawk Trail’s own Emily Willis was informed in a surprise ceremony at school that she is a 2023 recipient of the Harold Grinspoon Foundation Pioneer Valley Excellence in Teaching Award.
“This is terrific recognition for Emily and very well deserved,” said Mohawk Trail Principal Chris Buckland. “She’s creative, she’s committed to her work, and she truly cares about each and every student.”
In nominating her for the award, colleagues described Ms. Willis, the school librarian, as actively involved in helping both students and teachers succeed.
“Emily is a resource and mentor to her colleagues in the district. She develops innovative curriculum; curates a diverse and student-centered collection; and has created a welcoming space for students to gather, learn, and flourish. She supports teachers in all facets of the curriculum; provides professional development in instructional technology; creates events to bring students, experts, and community together; and teaches students important transferable skills in research, digital literacy, and coding.”
Ms. Willis was surprised and honored by the recognition.
“What I love most about teaching is creating an environment where students feel safe and seen,” said Ms. Willis, who is now in her 18th year teaching and her seventh at Mohawk Trail. “The library is a space where students can explore, collaborate, and create. It's also a place in the school where they can come to play a game, see their friends, or take a breath and make a cup of tea.”
The Pioneer Valley Excellence in Teaching Awards program annually honors Western Massachusetts educators and seeks to motivate teachers at all stages of their careers to aspire to excellence. Winners are celebrated at three festive awards banquets attended by their families, colleagues, and friends, along with many dignitaries.
“My secret to being a successful teacher is to do my best to connect with students,” she said. “Whether it's greeting them when they enter the library, playing chess during lunch, or introducing them to a book that I think they'll be interested in. How they feel while they are in the space is what they'll remember.”
Please make a note of the following dates in relation to the class of 2023:
- Prom - Friday, May 19
- Senior Send-off - Wednesday, May 24
- Senior Soak - Wednesday, May 24
- Finals and Rehearsals for Awards/Graduation - Tuesday, May 30
- Elementary School Visit and MTRS Staff Cookout - Wednesday, May 31
- Awards Event - Thursday, June 1 (5:00 to 7:00 p.m.)
- Graduation Celebration - Friday, June 2, 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. (Rain date: June 3: 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
More information will be shared out in the next few weeks! Please keep an eye out!
Save the date for the district celebration of learning on Wednesday, March 29 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. The Mary Lyon Foundation will be providing dinner. Do not miss this annual exhibition of student work!