News and Announcements
Our students are making headlines, and we want to share all the great news with you. We will keep this page updated with important announcements, news stories, and student shout outs. Please check in often and help us celebrate our students’ many achievements.
We encourage you to stay up to date with everything happening at Mohawk Trail Regional School! Please check out our weekly school newsletters. They are posted underneath the MTRS Student and Family Update heading.
We want to be sure you stay up to date with everything going on in the Mohawk Trail/Hawlemont Regional School Districts. We will post any recent updates from Superintendent Stanton below so that you may reference them at any time. If you wish to read through any previous updates, please visit our COVID-19 Information page for additional updates.
- May 7, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 30, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 16, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 13, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 9, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- April 2021 - Superintendent's Video Update
- April 2, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- March 25, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- March 19, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- March 12, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- March 4, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- March 2021 - Superintendent's Video Update
- February 26, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- February 19, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- February 12, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- February 5, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- February 2021 - Superintendent's Video Update
- January 29, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- January 21, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- January 15, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- January 13, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- January 11, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- January 8, 2021 - Superintendent's Video Update
- January 5, 2021 - Letter from the Superintendent
- December 11, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- December 4, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- November 25, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- November 6, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- November 6, 2020 - Letter from the Superintendent
- October 16, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- October 9, 2020 - Superintendent's Video Update
- October 1, 2020 - Letter from the Superintendent
With outdoor athletics, athletes are still required to wear masks and social distance when possible. Spectators watching athletic events, regardless of being vaccinated, are also required to wear masks and social distance. Please visit the athletic weekly newsletter.
Community members - our students need your support! On May 22, the MTRS 9th graders will lace up their sneakers and make their way to the MTRS track for a walkathon to raise money for their class and the Baystate Health Foundation! Recognizing how COVID-19 has financially strained many members of our community, the students wanted to combine their efforts to make an impact not only on their class fundraising efforts but also to help their neighbors in need.
These incredible students will be walking to fulfill both those needs-helping them to plan for their future needs to offset the costs of annual events while impacting their community in a meaningful way.
While the event is a month away, they've already started their fundraising efforts and are currently collecting pledges. They've created a Walkathon website-so head there to learn more and make a pledge today! *Note from their class adviser: the pledge form is linked to the site, and checks are made out to MTRS.
On April 8, Mohawk Trail Regional School District Superintendent Sheryl Stanton, MTRS principal Marisa Mendonsa, and assistant principal Diane Zamer hosted a virtual town hall to share the next steps in our return to learn plans for a full in-person return at MTRS (grades seventh through twelfth). If you missed the event, you can watch the broadcast or directly on the district's Vimeo channel.
As we continue planning for a full in-person return at Mohawk Trail Regional School, please do not hesitate to reach out to principal Mendonsa with any questions you might have. We're excited for these next steps and seeing our students soon!
The class of 2021 graduation will take place on Saturday, June 5 at 5:00 p.m. with a rain date of Sunday, June 6 at 1:00 p.m. Due to COVID-19 social distancing measures, graduation will be limited to graduates and their families only. We will allot each graduate a certain number of tickets, and graduates must register each ticket in advance. We will be sending out more detailed information following April break.
Eight students at Mohawk Trail Regional School (MTRS) have been selected to represent their towns as a 2021 Project 351 ambassador: Logan Moore, Ashfield; Isabelle Pettengil, Buckland; Makayla Tatro, Charlemont; Palmer King, Colrain; Chayim Mojallali, Hawley; Owen Heilman, Heath; Grady Patenaude, of Plainfield; and Adrian Grant, Shelburne.
These students join eighth graders representing the commonwealth’s 351 cities and towns for a transformational year of youth-led service, leadership development, and civic engagement. Since its founding in 2011, approximately 4,122 eighth graders have developed the courage and skills to lead change as ambassadors. This year, these young leaders will surpass more than one million neighbors positively impacted through their service.
According to Taffy Ruggeri, MTRS school counselor for grades seven through nine, student ambassadors were selected by their teachers based on their leadership qualities and potential for helping others through service.
Please take a moment to read our complete March 24, 2021, press release for more information on Project 351.
The Mohawk Trail Regional School District is pleased to announce Amelie Rowehl, of Hawley, as the Mohawk Trail Regional School’s 2021 Superintendent's Award recipient.
Rowehl is a stand-out in her class as a committed student, athlete, and valued member of the community. Ranked first in her class with a 4.54 grade point average, Rowehl consistently challenges herself both in-and-outside the classroom taking advanced placement courses while balancing school, sports, and working at her family business.
An avid skier, Rowehl has been a valued member of the MTRS alpine ski team since seventh grade. She’s also an active member of the school’s Social Justice Club and National Honor Society, and currently is planning for college post-graduation. With her sights currently set on Wellesley or Mount Holyoke College, she already has been accepted to the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Her ultimate goal is to major in political science and one day attend law school to become an immigration lawyer.
For more information, please view our press release.
Please be sure to read through our latest MTRS Student and Family Update located here on the News page. We will continue to add to this information, so please check back often!
Thank you for visiting our website! We always have a lot going on here at Mohawk Trail Regional School. Be sure to check back often!